Thursday, May 24, 2012

Texas Miniature Showcase in Dallas

I went to the Texas Miniature Showcase in Dallas, on May 4th, 5th. It was my first "miniature show" ever and my first "solo" trip in years. I was a little concerned about going alone (not having anyone to share the sites with, to talk to, to eat lunch with, etc.). But all my concerns were unfounded. The flight was so short, I didn't have to get bored, the hotel was 4 star and had a great staff, and the show........... AMAZING!    I wandered and chatted the whole time. Friday night - Preview and Shop   Saturday - Shop and Silent Auction   Saturday Night - Auction for museum exhibits!  I met a lot of nice people in the "biz" and "not in the biz". I shopped til I dropped. And I won silent auctions. I made mental notes of people, places and things for the future. And I bid on 2 seperate items at the Saturday Night Auction and didn't get either. :-(
They had tons of great houses and room boxes.  The problem was, if you have limited funds, like me, you have to decide which item to bid on. I chose, hands down, this house. It's one of 2 houses that were 1/2 scale replicas of actual houses in San Francisco. I didn't know that then, I just loveeeeeeee this house.
So, I passed up a lot of stuff to try to get this house. There were many good deals to be had, and in my heart, I wish I had stuck with this one. I still love it.  But realistically, I don't think I could have gotten it anyway as there were many people willing to spend much more money than me.  Anyway,  there was another item that I liked that no one bid on the first time around. So, after I didn't get the house (dropped out at $400), I thought I would bid on Mrs Beaton's Kitchen:



Once again, no one bid, so I bid $50. Then someone bid $75, then i bid $85, then someone bid $100, then someone jumped in, then I was $175 (I think?) and I dropped out. I don't remember what it sold for, but    :-( .  Note to self - take truck next time so you can haul stuff home. Half the stuff was too big to carry on the plane or too heavy with shipping costs to be cost effective for me to buy it.  Anyway, I did win some stuff at the silent auction and that was a lot of fun.

Crocheted Rug

Blanket/Hope Chest


Santa Mouse

I bought several things that I thought were really good deals.


So, pretty fun stuff -  lots of contacts, lots of free ideas and advice, lots of shopping and I didn't spend much. Can't wait until next year! Or maybe sooner if I find another show..... 
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment